Frequently Asked Questions

Non-standard auto insurance refers to the tier of car insurance reserved for risky drivers. Risky drivers doesn't necessarily mean you're a bad driver, but rather provides coverage for those who fall into categories like these:

  • Driving a high-performance or custom-built car
  • Driving a “salvage title” car, meaning it’s been severely damaged or declared a total loss
  • Living in a neighborhood with high rates of theft or vandalism
  • Being an inexperienced driver (often someone under age 25)
  • Being an elderly driver
  • Holding a foreign driver’s license
  • Having a gap in your auto insurance history
  • Buying only the minimum liability insurance required in your state
  • Filing numerous claims within a short period
  • Racking up speeding tickets and other moving violations
  • Being convicted of drunk driving
  • Having a poor credit history
  • Getting your auto policy canceled or non-renewed

State law requires drivers to be able to pay for the accidents they cause. Most people meet this requirement by buying automobile "liability" insurance. Liability insurance pays to treat people injured in an accident that you cause. It also pays to repair or replace the other driver´s damaged property.

Minimum coverage might not be enough to cover your financial obligations if you cause a serious accident. It is a good idea to consider raising your coverage limits. However, raising your coverage limits will increase your policy premium.

You will need to add "collision" coverage to your policy to cover your car if it's damaged in an accident that you caused (up to ACV limits). "Comprehensive" coverage will help repair or replace your car if it's stolen or damaged by hail, fire, road debris, vandalism, or other similar covered risks (up to ACV limits). State law does not require you to have comprehensive and collision coverage. However, if you still owe money on your car, your lender will probably require you to have this coverage. If your car is damaged in an accident caused by another driver, the other driver's insurance will pay to fix your car, up to the other driver's policy limits.

Driving without auto insurance is against the law. A law enforcement officer will require you to show proof that you have auto insurance during any traffic stop. Your insurance company will provide you with an "insurance ID card" that will qualify as your proof of insurance. The card will explain the basic features of your auto policy, including the dates the coverage begins and ends. You should keep your insurance card with you while driving. If you are unable to show proof of liability insurance, you could face a fine, have your vehicle impounded or you could even have your driver license suspended.

The financial consequences of driving without insurance can be even more severe. If you cause an accident, you will be financially liable for any resulting injuries or property damage. In the event of a serious accident, you may have to pay tens of thousands of dollars out of your own pocket. If you can't pay the amount you owe, you could be sued, and a court could order that the money be deducted from your current and future earnings. In addition, it could also mean that the person injured in the accident will have difficulty receiving the medical care necessary for a complete recovery.

Payless Auto Insurance accepts a variety of foreign ID's. You can find a full list here: